Who Lived on Your Street?
The first sale was two lots (Nos 2A & 4) to Robert Winn, a builder, in August 1895 and the last lot (No 2) sold 13 years later in 1908. Read more »
The Eglinton Road precinct provided a possibly unique situation where all but one of the houses in the street were built by one builder over a period of time.
There is an entry for each house identified by address under which all currently known and released information is recorded. Read more »
In 1952 Italian born Mario Abbiezzi was living in St Johns Road, Glebe. Just before Christmas he received an official letter giving him two months’ notice of deportation. As a member of a “communist penetrated organisation and a financial contributor to a communist publication’, he had been refused naturalisation. Read more »
William Aysh Adams was one of three carpenters (most of the other 210 passengers being agricultural labourers) on board the immigrant ship Julindur which landed in Sydney on 5 April 1849. Adams had moved to Sydney by 1879 when his youngest daughter married Thomas B Nosworthy at the Glebe Wesleyan Church, and by 1882 he had settled as a ‘gentleman’ of means at Ethelville an eight-roomed house at 9 St Johns Rd adjacent to a Congregational Church. Read more »
Maybanke Anderson, feminist and educationist, was involved in a wide range of reformist issues, especially relating to women. Francis Anderson was the first Challis professor of logic and mental philosophy at the University of Sydney.
Another articles about Maybanke and Francis Anderson is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website. Read more »
In 1907 “Hartford” at 244 Glebe Rd, together with its specially made and bought furniture, was purchased by the Levy family who had moved in by 1910 – Henry ‘Harry’ Phillip ‘of independent means’, his brother Joseph Angel, a wholesale jeweller, Joseph’s wife Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’, and Basil Angel, in adult life a partner in his father’s jewellery business. Read more »
In 1892 Samuel Barraclough’s family home was Gareloch 16 Toxteth Rd. This was the year he graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering degree from the University of Sydney. He later became Dean of the faculty and a fellow of the university senate over a three-decade period. Read more »
Henry Butters was the second publican of the University Hotel, taking over the lease from John Walton in September 1858. He remained there until 1866 when he moved to the Currency Lass on the corner of Glebe Rd and Mitchell St. Butters lived in Waterloo House, Mitchell St, until his death in 1892. Read more »
“Tibby” Cotter is regarded a possibly the best fast bowler of the first decade of the 20th century. His pace, and habit of frequently breaking the stumps and occasionally the batsmen, earned him the nickname of “Terror” Cotter in England. He joined the AIF in 1915 and served at Gallpoli. In 1917, he was shot and killed at Beersheba.
An article about “Tibby” Cotter is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website. Read more »
Michael Golden was a landholder of substance. He owned much of Leichhardt Street at Glebe Point, Sidcup, a seven bedroom mansion with a library and dining, smoking, breakfast and ironing rooms, stable and coach house on the corner of Cook Street and Glebe Point Road (now units) and eight houses in Duncan Street (now gone) off Bathurst Street. Read more »
Lew Hoad was a prominent tennis player in the 1950s. For five straight years, beginning in 1952, he was ranked in the world top 10 for amateurs, reaching the World No. 1 spot in 1956. He represented Australia in the Davis Cup with Ken Rosewall, winning the Cup for Australia four times from 1952-1956. He was widely regarded as one of the most naturally talented of tennis players.
An article about Lew Hoad is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website. Read more »
‘Dismal Jimmy’ Hogue, MP for Glebe 1894-1910, was Minister for Public Instruction 1895-9 and 1907-10 and Colonial Secretary 1904-7. He married Jessie Robards, born at Raymond Terrace on 18 October 1853, a skilled rider said to be the first woman to reach the summit of Mt Kosciusko on horseback. Read more »
Harry Hopman was the architect of Australia’s post World War II tennis supremacy. “Hopman’s chickens” during the “Hopman era” included Frank Sedgman, Ken McGregor, Mervyn Rose, Ken Rosewall, Lew Hoad, Ashley Cooper, Neale Fraser, Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, John Newcombe, Fred Stolle and Tony Roche. Read more »
Art patron Mervyn Horton was born at L’Aiglon 278 Glebe Point Rd. He was on the committees of the National Trust, the Gallery Society, the Arts Council of Australia, the Society of Artists and the Art Gallery of NSW. In 1962 he founded Art and Australia to promote Australian artists. Read more »
Frank Hurley, who was born in Glebe in 1885, is best known today as a photographer and filmmaker who worked in the Antarctic with Mawson and Shackleton, was official photographer during the two world wars, and made expeditions to Papua during the 1920s.
An article abut Frank Hurley is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website. Read more »
The headland at the junction of Blackwattle and Rozelle bays was at one time popularly known as Jarrett’s Point after the builder of Venetia, a double-storey mansion, and Bellevue, its adjacent four-bedroom cottage. William Jarrett’s properties included four terraces comprising St Aubyn’s on Kennedy St (now Leichhardt St flats) and the Gaza-Alma stretch 433-445 Glebe Rd, plus dwellings in Brougham, Campbell and Mitchell streets, the Fairlight farm at Mulgoa and houses, shops and land at Leichhardt, Petersham, Ashfield, Marrickville, Canterbury and Campbelltown. Read more »
Geologist and explorer, Mawson is best known for his exploratory expeditions to Antarctica. He joined Shackleton’s expedition from 1907-9, and headed the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 2011 – 14. The scientific work he undertook in this and later expeditions formed the basis for Australia’s claim to 42% of Antarctica as Australian territory.
An article about Douglas Mawson is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website. Read more »
Major James McManamey was born and married in Glebe and taught at the Collegiate School on Glebe Point Road. He later trained as a barrister. As Second in Command of the 19th Battalion 5th Infantry Brigade, McManamey was killed by shrapnel on 5 September 1915 just two weeks after landing at Gallipoli. Read more »
The Meares family were the first occupants of Cliff Lodge at the corner of Mary St and Glebe Point Rd, a two-storey sandstone villa set in extensive grounds, with a bathing house on Blackwattle Bay. Renamed The Anchorage in the 1920s, it was demolished by Parkes Developments in January 1971. Read more »
In 1975, Una Moncrieff was living at 139 Wigram Rd Forest Lodge, her family home since the time of WWI. She and her sister Edna claimed to be cousins of singer Gladys Moncrieff who in 1921 achieved fame throughout Australia as The Maid of the Mountains. Over time they assumed the surname ‘Moncrieff’ and, like ‘Our Glad’, were in show business, playing up the connection in their publicity. Read more »
John George Purves lived in Glebe for over 50 years. His name has been given to the short street near the site of his 93 St Johns Rd steam bakery. In 1885 JG became one of the few Australian bakers to mechanise bread-making, replacing the old hand-made method. Read more »
This house is one of Glebe’s oldest surviving stone buildings, dating from ca 1856. It was isolated, surrounded by vacant land until the early 1870s when Ambrose Thornley jnr erected Florence Villa next door. The Retreat was built for James Rothwell, a George St saddler and harness maker who won several government contracts. Read more »
In 1886 and 1187, George Sargent operated a bakery at 64 Glebe Street. After his introduction of the “penny pie”, business boomed. By the time of the Great War, Sargent’s Ltd owned six cafes and 36 tea rooms, including the ‘largest Tea Romm in the Commonwealth” in Pitt Street, Sydney. Read more »
Bernard Smith was a painter, writer, teacher, criti , philanthropist. He was the Foundation Professor of Contemporary Art and was Director of the Power Institute of Fine Arts, University of Sydney and was the inaugural President of the Glebe Society. Bernard Smith and his wife Kate authored the seminal 1973 book The Architectural Character of Glebe.
An article about Bernard and Kate Smith is in te People in Glebe’s History section of this website.and Read more »
Blackwattle Bay’s Strathmore was built in 1857 for businessman and politician Alexander McArthur (1814-1909), the son of a poor Scots-Irish farmer and itinerant Wesleyan preacher. On the five-acre estate was Strathmore, a three-storey stone house directly opposite George Allen’s Toxteth Park to the south. Read more »
Jane Suggate’s childhood was spent aboard a house built on top of a boat. Saving the cost of construction materials, and possibly in an effort to avoid paying land rates, her ferryman father had converted an iron steamer into his own “Noah’s Ark” on the water’s edge at Glebe Point. Read more »
Victoria Rd, now widely known to residents and visitors alike due to the Jubilee stop on the Light Rail and the access to the Tramsheds, was created in the subdivision by George Boyce Allen in the period 1894-96 (south side) and 1902 (north side). Read more »
Frederick Henry Wood, who grew up at Margaretta Cottage in Glebe, served as a Trooper in the First Australian Light Horse Regiment during the Gallipoli campaign. In 1941, he put his age down to in the 12th Australian Water Transport Operating Company together with his four sons. Read more »