By Jan Wilson, on behalf of StopWestConnex-Glebe Forest Lodge. (email: firstname.lastname@example.org to get update information).
We are a group of concerned locals campaigning against the $17 billion+ WestConnex toll road and for better public and active transport.
WestConnex stage 3 will bring eight lanes of polluting toll road and exhaust stacks to suburbs between Haberfield, Rozelle and St Peters unless we all come together and say ‘NO!’ Experts agree that building more urban motorways just induces more traffic. We need fast, frequent and efficient public transport to get cars off the road. We oppose WestConnex because it:
- won’t fix congestion
- won’t reduce car dependence
- will induce more trips by car
- will delay investment in public transport
- will increase traffic on local roads
- will lead to local road widenings
- will increase toxic air pollution at tunnel entries and exits, and unfiltered exhaust stacks
- will increase truck movements through the inner west to Port Botany
- will create havoc for years during construction
- will increase the tolls you pay by 4% every year
- will increase greenhouse gas emissions contributing to climate change
Stage 3 of WestConnex is not a done deal. It’s not too late to stop. Here are some things you can do:
- Sign up here for our email updates at www.westconnex.info/join.
- Make a submission to the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for Stage 3 (http://www.majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/index.pl?action=view_job&job_id=7485), open for public comment until 16 October 2017.
- Write to the Premier, Gladys Berejiklian. Demand that work on WestConnex is halted, a public inquiry held, and public transport options be put back on the table. (use the easy form at: www.fixwestconnex.com.au).