The Esther Abrahams Pavilion Design
The Bicentennial pavilion is named after
Esther Abrahams who founded the Annandale
Estate with her husband George Johnston.
The pavilion was designed by community member
and architect Paul Melchert (1951-2005).
The structure created an architectural space that
accommodates various formal and informal uses.
It is a study in structural integrity designed to
withstand constant human use. The recycled
hardwood portal frames with steel connectors
invokes the past and present maritime industrial
character of the area and creates a link to the
trussed heritage listed bridge nearby.
Posted on September 11, 2015 for Peter Thorogood