There are three different digital maps of Forest Lodge and Glebe in the late 1880s. The most commonly used are the two on the City of Sydney’s on-line Historical Atlas of Sydney.
The first of these is glebe-camperdown-newtown-macdonaldtown-darlington-1886. This map covers a large area, but it is quite detailed and easy to read. It shows building footprints but not outbuildings. Some infrastructure, including the tramway reservation on the current Minogue Cres, is included.
The second of the maps on the City of Sydney site is Glebe 1888. This map is difficult to read in places but it has some advantages. The major one is that it gives the names of businesses operating at some premises. It shows building footprints but, like the 1886 map, it does not include outbuildings.
The third of the digital maps from this period is actually a set of 33 separate maps each covering a small section of Glebe or Forest Lodge for 1889-90, held by The State Library of NSW. They are part of a bigger series catalogued under the title City of Sydney Survey Section.1 These maps show property boundaries, building and outbuilding footprints, sewerage and drainage infrastructure and other infrastructure. There is a separate master map series (Glebe and Forest Lodge are spread over 4 of these master maps), from which you may be able to identify the exact map you need.
These City of Sydney Survey Section maps seem to have been relatively little used in research on Glebe and Forest Lodge. Some researchers have used the hard copy version, but the on-line version is seldom cited. This is surprising because the provenance of these maps gives good reason to expect they would be the most complete and accurate maps available for the period. Specifically, these maps were drawn up by the Surveyor General’s Office as part of a major NSW government infrastructure project. From 1842, water and sewerage had mostly been the responsibility of municipal governments, but by the 1870s Sydney’s water shortages and growing public health problems attested to the gross inadequacy of this arrangement.2 From 1879 the NSW government began to intervene, ultimately undertaking a massive construction programme to bring fresh Nepean water to Sydney, and to create a network of mains, deep sub-mains, pumping stations and vents to take the city’s waste to ocean outfalls.3 The first stage of the Nepean scheme was completed in 1888 and the first of the ocean outfalls was completed in 1889. The next step was to build the connecting networks. It was in this context that the Board of Water Supply and Sewerage was created to manage the network and the City of Sydney Survey Section maps were drawn up by the Surveyor General.