Glebe Point Road – Page 2 – The Glebe Society

Skip to Content

Archived Posts

Florence Theodora Jacobs

Posted on 28th March 2015

Florence Jacobs was the original owner of Durham Court, 417 Glebe Point Rd, built on part of the Golden Estate, subdivided in 1908. In 1909 Florence’s mother Sarah Speare bought lots 1 – 4 between Leichhardt St and Cook St. Sidcup on the Cook St corner.  Read more »

Thomas John Ley

Posted on 16th August 2013

The only person whose career is summed up in The Australian Dictionary of Biography as “politician and murderer” and in The Australian Encyclopaedia as “politician and criminal” lived for a number of years at various addresses in Glebe.  Read more »

Edwin Randolph Magnus and Lilian Magnus

Posted on 23rd September 2014

Hartford (244 Glebe Point Road) on the subdivided Toxteth Estate was built for dentist E Randolph Magnus (his preferred name), the driving force behind the establishment of Sydney’s Dental Hospital.  Read more »

Douglas Mawson

Posted on 16th August 2013

Geologist and explorer, Mawson is best known for his exploratory expeditions to Antarctica. He joined Shackleton’s expedition from 1907-9, and headed the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 2011 – 14. The scientific work he undertook in this and later expeditions formed the basis for Australia’s claim to 42% of Antarctica as Australian territory.
An article about Douglas Mawson is in the People in Glebe’s History section of this website.  Read more »

Richard Thomas and Mary Anne Meares

Posted on 29th June 2017

The Meares family were the first occupants of Cliff Lodge at the corner of Mary St and Glebe Point Rd, a two-storey sandstone villa set in extensive grounds, with a bathing house on Blackwattle Bay. Renamed The Anchorage in the 1920s, it was demolished by Parkes Developments in January 1971.  Read more »

William Henry Douglas Mitchell

Posted on 2nd November 2018

In September 1880 the Guildford Lodge estate on the corner of Leichhardt St and Glebe Point Rd was bought by William Mitchell. After the departure of the Mitchell family Guildford Lodge was rented out. In April 1925, Guildford Lodge was bought by Frederick Stearns & Co. Guildford Lodge was demolished and replaced by a factory. In 1944, Frederick Stearns & Co. was bought out by the Sterling Drug Co.  Read more »

Julia Parkes

Posted on 3rd May 2016

The third wife of the Father of Federation lived at two addresses in Glebe: Auburn, 15 Allen St, and Maryville, 393 Glebe Point Rd.  Read more »

Arabella Zarah Parr

Posted on 28th November 2017

‘Belle’ Parr was the victim of a murder-suicide shooting. During the First World War she lived with her husband William, a postal worker, at Ayr House a slate-roofed building he jointly owned at 255 Glebe Point Road on the corner of Marlborough Street.  Read more »

Robert Racklyeft

Posted on 14th March 2019

Rev. Robert Racklyeft served as a chaplain in France during the First World War. He was posted to Glebe in 1927 and set up the Boys Brigade. He enlisted again as a chaplain in the Second World War.  Read more »

Alfred James Shearsby

Posted on 31st October 2016

Alfred James Shearsby was an historically important photographer and geologist.  Read more »